Friday, August 22, 2014

A Men

Ex-gay activist Stephen Bennett said this last week: "They're basically marching in with their fist shaking. saying, 'We demand equality, homosexuality is equivalent to heterosexuality.' Folks, it is not. Anyone with a brain realizes it is not equal." Anyone with a brain. This is Stephen Bennett, who runs Stephen Bennett Ministries or SBM. It has been a while since I had a full medical checkup, but I believe I am currently in possession of a brain, and that is why I am wondering why anyone would be foolish enough to call their Christian organization "SBM." 
Stephen went on, as you might expect: He didn't mince words when it came to his stance on same-sex couples who are also parents, noting, "Can homosexuals raise children? Absolutely. Is that what God's perfect plan is? Absolutely not." And now I'm struck by another impulse from that thing between my ears which may or not be a brain since I do believe in equality. I'm wondering about this perfect plan God has. This is the perfect plan that made eighteen-year-old Stephen go gay in the first place.  This was back in the 1980's, when it was really scary being gay. Apparently that lifestyle had a lot of drinking and drugs associated with it. Or maybe that was just life in the 1980's. Maybe that was all part of God's perfect plan as well. 
The good news is that Stephen got better, and he would like us all to know that it's possible for them to get better too. That's part of God's perfect plan. Or maybe it's just the intolerance part that really works for him just now. Stephen does not believe that one can reconcile the homosexual lifestyle with being a Christian. A very tiny brain might come up with some silliness about "brotherly love" and that whole forgiveness thing, but God's perfect plan has more to do with setting the record straight. There is nothing equal about homo and hetero. Hetero has more letters, for one thing. That was a distinction I was able to draw with what amounts for my brain. 
And I still don't agree with Stephen Bennett. Treating one another with love and respect is all part of God's perfect plan. Everyone. It's not just my brain talking either. That's my heart speaking too. 

No comments: